Follow these steps to make the ultimate pan-fried steaks, just like those served at your favorite steakhouse. The most important things about executing this recipe are high heat and cooking time, which both vary on the cut and thickness you’re working with, and the doneness you prefer. If this is your first time, we recommend that you test the waters using inexpensive cuts. When you’ve figured out the timing and the cooking technique, you can go for the pricey steak cuts. Having a meat thermometer also does wonders!
- Vegetable Oil
- Freshly-Cracked Black Pepper (we recommend Tellicherry peppercorn)
- Sea Salt (Maldon is a great option)
- Steak (T-Bone, Strip Steak, and Rib-Eye are the most preferred parts for pan-frying)
- Ensure that the steak is at room temperature before cooking it, so take it out of the fridge for 1 to 1.5 hours for preparation.
- Use stainless steel, cast iron, or carbon steel fry pan and preheat it through high heat; the longer you do this, the better. For best results, do NOT utilize a non-stick pan.
- Switch your exhaust hood on and open your windows because it’s going to be smokey in the area.
- Spray vegetable oil on the steak’s sides.
- Put the steak on the frying pan and do NOT season it. Keep in mind that white smoke will immediately appear right after you place it.
- Maintain the high heat temperature as you cook the steak without covering or moving it for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on how thick it is and the doneness you prefer.
- Turn the steak over and repeat the sixth step.
- You can turn off the heat in the pan once the steak reaches your desired doneness.
- Shake out freshly-cracked pepper and sea salt on the steak’s sides without taking it out from the hot pan.
- Get your rack and let the steak rest on it for up to 5 minutes. If you don’t have a rack, ensure that you rest it with proper air circulation on all sides.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy.
Is your fry pan not performing up to par with unevenly cooked food or hot spots? Maybe it’s time to invest in a new fry pan. These 5 frying pans will give you outstanding performance.