French ovens, also known as Dutch ovens, are versatile cooking tools suitable for a wide range of dishes. Typically made of cast iron or enameled cast iron, these ovens have thick walls and a tight-fitting lid that traps heat and moisture inside, making them perfect for slow-cooking stews, soups, and braises. Additionally, they can be used for baking bread, roasting meats, and even frying.
When choosing a French oven, size, and material are crucial factors to consider. French ovens come in different sizes, ranging from small 2-quart models to large 7-quart models. Therefore, you must choose a size that’s appropriate for your cooking needs and the number of people you plan to serve. Cast iron is a popular choice for French ovens due to its ability to retain heat and distribute it evenly. On the other hand, enameled cast iron is an excellent option because it’s easier to clean and doesn’t require seasoning.
Using a French oven has many advantages, including cooking with less oil and fat. The tight-fitting lid traps moisture, enabling you to cook stews and braises without adding extra liquid, reducing the need for added oil or butter. Besides, the even heat distribution of the cast iron allows you to cook at lower temperatures, reducing the amount of oil or fat required.
We spent numerous hours researching and testing various French ovens to identify those that provide the best combination of performance, durability, and value. In the following sections, we will share our top picks and provide a detailed breakdown of what makes each one exceptional.
Table of Contents
Best French Ovens
We’ve researched and tested the top French ovens on the market to bring you our list of the best. A French oven, also known as a Dutch oven, is a versatile kitchen tool that can be used for everything from baking bread to braising meats. With so many options available, we’ve narrowed down the choices to the best of the best. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner cook, our list has something for everyone.
If you’re looking for an affordable, high-quality dutch oven, the Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven is a great option.
- The cast iron material ensures even heat distribution and retention.
- The 6-quart size is perfect for serving 4-6 people, making it great for family meals or dinner parties.
- The red enamel finish is both stylish and durable.
- The pot is hand wash only, which may be inconvenient for some users.
- The enamel doesn’t have a non-stick function, so you may need to use more oil or butter to prevent sticking.
- The lid and handles can get very hot, so you’ll need to use oven mitts or potholders when handling the pot.
We’ve used the Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven to make everything from pasta to soup to fried chicken, and it’s performed admirably every time. The cast iron material ensures that heat is distributed evenly throughout the pot, so your food cooks evenly and doesn’t burn. Plus, the 6-quart size is perfect for feeding a family or hosting a dinner party.
One thing to keep in mind is that the enamel finish doesn’t have a non-stick function, so you may need to use more oil or butter to prevent your food from sticking to the pot. Additionally, the pot is hand wash only, which may be inconvenient for some users who prefer to use a dishwasher. However, we think the quality of the pot makes it worth the extra effort to hand wash.
Overall, we highly recommend the Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven for anyone in the market for a high-quality dutch oven at an affordable price.
If you’re looking for a large-capacity air fryer and convection toaster oven, the Emeril Lagasse 26 QT French Door is definitely worth considering. We’ve been using this oven for a few weeks now and have been impressed with its performance.
- The French doors make it easy to access the oven and check on your food without having to reach over a hot door.
- The large 26-quart capacity is perfect for cooking for a crowd or preparing multiple dishes at once.
- The automatic shut-off feature provides peace of mind and ensures that your food won’t overcook.
- The oven is quite large and heavy, so it may not be the best choice for those with limited counter space or mobility issues.
- The touch controls can be a bit finicky and take some getting used to.
- The price point is on the higher side compared to other air fryers and toaster ovens on the market.
Overall, we would recommend the Emeril Lagasse 26 QT French Door for anyone in need of a large-capacity air fryer and convection toaster oven. Its unique French doors, automatic shut-off feature, and large capacity make it stand out from the competition. However, it may not be the best choice for those with limited counter space or a tight budget.
If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable Dutch oven, the Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven is a great option.
- Even heat distribution and retention thanks to the cast iron material
- Oven safe up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Side handles and fitted lid make it easy to handle
- Not dishwasher safe – must be hand-washed
- Enamel doesn’t have non-stick function
- Rusting may occur in areas where the enamel is missing, such as the lip of the lid
We recently purchased this Dutch oven and have been impressed with its performance. The cast iron material ensures even heat distribution and retention, making it perfect for stews, soups, and braises. The side handles and fitted lid make it easy to handle, even when it’s hot. We also appreciate that it’s oven safe up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, allowing us to easily transfer it from the stovetop to the oven.
However, it’s important to note that this Dutch oven is not dishwasher safe and must be hand-washed. Additionally, the enamel coating does not have a non-stick function, so food may stick to the surface if not properly oiled. We also noticed some rusting in areas where the enamel was missing, such as the lip of the lid.
Overall, we recommend the Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven for those looking for a reliable and affordable option for their cooking needs.
If you’re looking for a versatile and efficient countertop oven, we recommend the Oster French Door Convection Countertop and Toaster Oven.
- The single door pull design makes it easy to place dishes in the oven.
- The digital controls provide precise cooking time and temperature for perfect results every time.
- The turbo convection baking technology cooks faster and browns more evenly.
- The oven is a bit bulky and may take up more counter space than some other countertop ovens.
- The touch commands for pizza, dehydrate, and defrost may take a bit of time to figure out.
- The oven may not be as durable as some other countertop ovens.
We were impressed with the Oster French Door Convection Countertop and Toaster Oven’s performance. The single door pull design is a game-changer, making it easy to place dishes in the oven without any hassle. The digital controls are intuitive and easy to use, with precise cooking time and temperature settings that take the guesswork out of cooking. The turbo convection baking technology cooks faster and browns more evenly, which is a nice touch.
One downside to the oven is that it’s a bit bulky and may take up more counter space than some other countertop ovens. Additionally, the touch commands for pizza, dehydrate, and defrost may take a bit of time to figure out. Finally, the oven may not be as durable as some other countertop ovens, so it may not last as long as you’d like.
Overall, we think the Oster French Door Convection Countertop and Toaster Oven is a great choice for anyone looking for a versatile and efficient countertop oven. It’s easy to use, cooks food quickly and evenly, and has a sleek design that will look great in any kitchen.
If you’re looking for a versatile and spacious toaster oven, the Elite Gourmet ETO2530M is definitely worth considering.
- The dual door design is a great space-saving feature and allows for easy access to the interior.
- With a 25L capacity, this oven can fit up to a 12″ pizza and an 11lb roast, making it perfect for family meals and entertaining.
- The built-in heat selector switch allows for precision cooking control, with multiple cooking features for baking, broiling, toasting, pizza, and keep warm.
- The doors do not meet completely in the middle, leaving a small gap that may be a concern for some users.
- Some users have reported a learning curve when it comes to combining different foods for one cooking session.
- The oven may be too large for some kitchens, so make sure to measure your counter space before purchasing.
We’ve been using the Elite Gourmet ETO2530M for a few weeks now, and we’re impressed by its performance. The dual door design is a unique feature that we really appreciate, as it allows us to open one or both doors at a time depending on what we’re cooking. The oven heats up quickly and cooks evenly, and we’ve had great results with everything from toast to pizza to roasted vegetables.
One thing to note is that the doors do not meet completely in the middle, leaving a small gap that may be a concern for some users. We haven’t found this to be a problem, but it’s worth keeping in mind if you’re looking for an oven with a tight seal.
Overall, we think the Elite Gourmet ETO2530M is a great choice for anyone who needs a versatile and spacious toaster oven. It’s well-built, easy to use, and offers a wide range of cooking options.
We highly recommend the Elite Gourmet ETO4510B# French Door Convection Oven for anyone looking for a versatile and spacious countertop oven that can handle a variety of cooking tasks.
- The French dual door design is a game changer, allowing you to open one or both doors at a time and saving precious counter space.
- The 45L capacity is impressive, fitting 9 slices of toast on 2 racks for a total of 18 slices and roasting up to a 20lb turkey. Four rack positions fit up to 2 x 14″ pizzas with interior dimensions of 16-3/8 W x 15-7/8 D x 8-1/2 H (upper element to rack at bottom position).
- The convection feature circulates hot air inside the oven for flakier crusts, deeper flavors and more tender meats, in less time. The rotisserie spit & Fork assembly rotates food inside the oven while roasting it to perfection.
- The oven doors aren’t fully sealed, causing a slight loss of heat.
- The timer does not have a power on/off button.
- The oven is not made of stainless steel.
This oven is perfect for those who want to cook multiple dishes at once, without sacrificing counter space. The four rack positions are perfect for cooking multiple dishes at once, and the independent temperature knobs up to 450°F allow you to separately control top and bottom heating elements – turn on only one or both at the same time. The 60-minute timer with signal turns the oven off automatically, ensuring that your food is cooked to perfection.
The stainless steel door handle, frame, and panel add style and elegance, while the oven door constructed of safety tempered glass, and slide-out crumb and grease tray makes clean up a cinch. The oven comes with 2 x removable wire racks, 1 x baking pan, 1 x crumb tray, 1 x rotisserie rod and prongs, 1 x rotisserie removal tool, 1 x tray removal tool.
Overall, the Elite Gourmet ETO4510B# French Door Convection Oven is a great investment for anyone looking for a spacious and versatile countertop oven that can handle a variety of cooking tasks.
We highly recommend the Crock Pot Artisan Enameled Cast Iron 7-Quart Oval Dutch Oven for anyone looking for a versatile and durable cooking tool.
- The cast iron construction distributes heat evenly and retains it well, making it perfect for slow-cooking, simmering, braising, baking and more.
- The porcelain enamel finish is easy to clean and naturally non-stick, making it a breeze to clean up after cooking.
- The oval shape is perfect for cooking larger cuts of meat or accommodating a variety of ingredients at once.
- The pot is quite heavy, which can make it difficult to move around when full.
- The ceramic coating can chip easily if not handled with care.
- The pot is not dishwasher safe, requiring hand washing only.
We recently used this Dutch oven to make a delicious pot roast, and we were impressed with how evenly it cooked and how easy it was to clean up afterwards. The oval shape allowed us to fit larger cuts of meat and vegetables comfortably, and the lid kept everything moist and tender. We also love the beautiful Sapphire Blue color, which adds a pop of color to our kitchen.
Overall, we highly recommend the Crock Pot Artisan Enameled Cast Iron 7-Quart Oval Dutch Oven for anyone looking for a high-quality, versatile, and beautiful cooking tool.
If you’re looking for a large and versatile toaster oven, the LUBY Large Toaster Oven Countertop is a great option.
- The French door design is convenient and saves space on your countertop.
- The separate temperature controls for upper and lower racks provide maximum cooking flexibility.
- With 55 liters of capacity, you can cook a variety of meals for your family or friends.
- The oven doesn’t have a light inside, which can make it difficult to check on your food.
- The doors don’t lock when open, so you need to be careful when taking out hot food.
- The temperature in the middle of the oven may not reach as high as you’d like after extended use.
We were impressed with the LUBY Large Toaster Oven Countertop’s large capacity and French door design. The oven can fit an 18-slice bread, a 14-inch pizza, or a 20-pound turkey, making it perfect for cooking big meals. The separate temperature controls for upper and lower racks allow you to cook different foods at the same time, and the 60-minute timer ensures that your food won’t overcook.
However, we did find a few drawbacks to the oven. The lack of a light inside the oven can make it difficult to check on your food, and the doors don’t lock when open, which can be dangerous when taking out hot food. Additionally, the temperature in the middle of the oven may not reach as high as you’d like after extended use.
Overall, we think the LUBY Large Toaster Oven Countertop is a great option for those looking for a large and versatile toaster oven.
If you’re looking for a versatile and durable french oven, the Tramontina Covered Round Dutch Oven is a great option.
- The rich enameled finish and versatile shapes make it a great choice for elegant kitchen to table serving.
- The stainless steel knob is solid cast construction and oven-safe, making it extremely durable.
- It’s compatible with gas, electric, ceramic glass and induction cooktops, and oven-safe up to 450 F (232 C).
- It’s hand-wash only, which can be inconvenient for some.
- Some users have reported issues with the enamel chipping over time.
- It’s not dishwasher safe.
We recently used the Tramontina Covered Round Dutch Oven to make a slow-simmered beef stew, and it cooked the dish to perfection. The enameled finish made it easy to clean, and the stainless steel knob was sturdy and held up well in the oven. We also appreciated the versatility of the oval shape, which made it easy to cook a variety of dishes.
Overall, if you’re looking for a high-quality and versatile french oven that will last for years to come, the Tramontina Covered Round Dutch Oven is definitely worth considering.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly toaster oven that can handle a variety of cooking tasks, the BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Toaster Oven with Natural Convection is a solid choice.
- Four Cooking Functions: Choose from convection bake, broil, toast, and keep warm
- Compact Size: Easily fit a 9″ pizza, four slices of bread, or a variety of other snacks and meals
- Natural Convection Technology: The interior is designed to circulate hot air throughout the oven for fast, even results.
- Short Timer: The 30-minute timer may not be sufficient for longer baking tasks
- Difficult to Read Controls: The knobs are long and can be hard to read without looking directly at them
- Limited Capacity: The included rack and pan may not be large enough for some dishes
In our experience, the BLACK+DECKER toaster oven performed well for basic tasks like toasting bread and reheating leftovers. The natural convection technology helped ensure even cooking, and the compact size made it easy to store on the countertop.
However, we did find the 30-minute timer to be a bit limiting for longer cooking tasks, and the controls can be difficult to read at certain angles. Additionally, the included rack and pan may not be large enough for some dishes.
Overall, if you’re looking for an affordable toaster oven that can handle basic cooking tasks, the BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Toaster Oven with Natural Convection is worth considering.
When it comes to buying a French oven, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure you choose the best product for your needs. Here are some features to look for:
Consider the size of the French oven you need. French ovens come in various sizes, so you need to choose one that can accommodate the amount of food you will be cooking. A good rule of thumb is to choose a size that is at least 25% larger than what you think you will need. This will give you enough room to cook comfortably without overcrowding the pot.
French ovens are typically made of cast iron or ceramic. Cast iron is a durable and versatile material that retains heat well, making it ideal for slow-cooking dishes. Ceramic is a non-reactive material that is great for cooking acidic foods. Both materials have their advantages, so choose one that suits your cooking needs.
The lid is an important part of the French oven, as it helps to seal in moisture and flavor. Look for a lid that fits snugly on the pot and has a knob or handle that is easy to grip. Some lids also have self-basting features that help to distribute moisture evenly throughout the dish.
Handles are an important consideration when choosing a French oven. Look for handles that are sturdy and easy to grip, even when the pot is hot. Some French ovens have handles that are integrated into the pot, while others have separate handles that can be removed for easier cleaning.
French ovens can range in price from under $50 to several hundred dollars. While it may be tempting to go for a cheaper option, keep in mind that a higher-quality French oven will last longer and perform better in the long run. Consider your budget and choose a French oven that offers the features you need at a price you can afford.
Overall, when choosing a French oven, consider the size, material, lid, handles, and price to ensure you get the best product for your needs.