Follow these steps for the ultimate pan fried burger. Meat temperature plays a major role here. To avoid burned crust and still raw topping, make sure the burger is about room temperature.
- Burger patties
- Vegetable oil
- Quality sea salt (Maldon is a good option)
- Freshly cracked black pepper (this Tellicherry peppercorn is a good option)
- Cheese (optional)
- Take a burger out of the fridge at least 90 minutes before cooking. Make sure the burger is at room temperature when you are about to cook.
- Preheat frypan over high heat. Use cast iron, carbon steel or stainless steel for this task. The use of non-stick cookware is not recommended.
- Pour oil till it forms the thinnest layer on the frypan. You’ll notice oil starts smoking right away.
- Do NOT spice the burger right now. Just put it in the pan and let it cook for 3-4 minutes, no covering and stirring. Make sure you don’t overfill the pan.
- Flip burger and keep cooking, no covering and stirring. When you decide it is done, turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides and place cheese on top (optional) while the burger is still in the hot pan.
- Leave the burger on a rack for up to 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite condiments and snacks.
If you notice that your frying pan proves unequal to the task, perhaps it’s time to have a new one. These 5 frying pans will give you outstanding performance.