Follow these steps for the ultimate pan fried burger. The key to success here is meat temperature. Ensure the burger is near room temperature, or the outside of the burger will burn while inside is still raw.
- Burger patties
- Vegetable oil
- Quality sea salt (Maldon is a good option)
- Freshly cracked black pepper (this Tellicherry peppercorn is a good option)
- Cheese (optional)
- Remove burger from fridge at least 1.5 hours before cooking. When you’re ready to cook, the burger should be at room temperature.
- Preheat fry pan over high heat. Use cast iron, carbon steel or stainless steel for this task. The use of non-stick cookware is not recommended.
- Drizzle just enough oil to cover the base of the fry pan. Oil should begin to smoke immediately.
- Do NOT season burger at this point. Simply place burger in pan and let it cook uncovered and undistributed for 3-4 minutes. It is important to ensure you don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Flip burger and continue cooking uncovered and undistributed.
- Once it reaches your desired doneness, turn off heat.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides and place cheese on top (optional) while burger is still in the hot pan.
- Let burger rest on a rack for up to 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite condiments and sides.
Is your fry pan not performing up to par with unevenly cooked food or hot spots? Maybe it’s time to invest in a new fry pan. These 5 frying pans will give you outstanding performance.