Very popular in Europe and Asia, carbon steel cookware is slowly becoming more mainstream in North America. For those who aren’t familiar with carbon steel fry pan, you can think of it as a cast-iron skillet but without the weight. Proper seasoning of the pan is very important as the pan tends to get better after each use, similar to a cast-iron skillet. After a while, the pan becomes non-stick with a beautiful patina that can be used to cook anything.
Among the companies that manufacture carbon steel fry pan, Matfer Bourgeat makes the best carbon steel (or black steel as they called it) frying pan. The Bourgeat Black Steel frying pan is high performing, durable and versatile. More importantly, you can buy the Bourgeat Black Steel fry pan at a reasonable price.
If you enjoy cooking with cast iron, you’ll love cooking with carbon steel.
- After the Bourgeat pan is properly seasoned with a dark patina, it is an absolute joy to use, especially for high heat cooking and searing.
- Good weight and feel overall with very solid construction.
- The fry pan is very forgiving. If you screw up the pan, simply scrub it down and restart the seasoning process, and it’s as good as new.
- Heats up quickly.
- Welded handle equals easy cleanup. No build-ups or dirt around the rivets.
- This is one of the best fry pans for frying eggs.
- Suitable for any stovetop.
- Lifetime warranty.
- You have to learn the seasoning process, which is quite easy and is provided in the instruction booklet.
- The way to clean carbon steel fry pan is similar to cleaning cast iron skillet. If you haven’t used cast iron before, you’ll need to adjust your cleaning routine.
- Because most carbon steel cookware is available in restaurant kitchen stores, sales are not as frequent and readily available as typical consumer brands.
Last update on 2020-02-19 / This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API